Rotini with Red Sauce
This is a light and tasty pasta dish, perfect for lunch or brunch. The combination of roasted bell peppers and anchovies put a flavorful spin on traditional Italian dishes. You can add as many vegetables to the sauce as you like. This is a perfect recipe for the abundance of summertime vegetables growing in your garden.
- 5 Round Tomatoes quartered
- 1 2 Ounce can Fillets of anchovies rinsed and dried
- 2 Red bell peppers roasted, skinned and seeds removed
- 3 Tbsp Capers
- 1 Pound Rotini pasta cooked
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Large Hook neck squash or zucchini, chopped
- Dash Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp Fresh basil chopped
- To taste Salt & pepper
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Chop the squash.
- Roast the red bell peppers in the broiler on high until the skin is blistered in all sides.
- Put into a container to seal and let steam for 15 minutes, (we used a zip lock bag).
- When cool enough to handle peel and remove the charred skins, stems and seeds.
- Put the roasted bell peppers into the blender with the anchovies and puree.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and capers then puree into a smooth sauce.
- In a large skillet add the butter and olive then heat to medium high.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes then add the squash and cook until it starts to brown on the edges.
- Add the pureed sauce, cayenne pepper, basil and more salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook the pasta per the directions on the package.
- Cook the sauce down until it starts to thicken then serve over pasta and top with cheese.