It is difficult to find a pickled beet recipe that does not have sugar in it. This is an old recipe and a great way to store beets for the winter.
- Vinegar sufficient to cover the beets
- 2 Ounces Black peppercorns to each gallon of vinegar
- 2 Ounces Ground allspice to each gallon of vinegar
- Wash the beets free from dirt, being very careful not to prick the outside skin, or they will lose their beautiful color.
- Put them into boiling water and gently simmer, cooking until about three quarters done, which will be about 1½ hours, remove and allow to cool.
- Bring the vinegar to a boil and add the pepper corns and allspice (using the above proportion), cook for 10 minutes, and allow to cool.
- Place the beets into prepared canning jars and cover with vinegar.
- Seal the jars and return to a sterile hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Allow the beets to sit for a week and they will be ready for use.