It always feels great when you can use fresh vegetables and herbs to make your own vegetable stock.
Make your own vegetable stock with vegetables on hand; keep it organic and deliciously healthy.
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 2 Large Carrots
- 2 Parsnips
- Handful Beet greens or chard
- 2 Stalks Celery with leaves
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh thyme
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Dried bay leaf
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Chop the onion.
- Chop the beet leaves so they will fit into the pot.
- In a medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium-low heat and add the onions; cook until caramelized, about 15-25 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for two hours.
- Remove from heat, cool, and strain the stock through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth-lined strainer, pressing on the vegetables to extract the juices. Discard the vegetables.
- The stock can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
This recipe is a guide, feel free to get creative and use your favorite vegetables.