Caramelized Onion and Kale Grilled Cheese
A great twist to the all time favorite grilled cheese sandwich. This is delicously perfect when served in combination with our Roasted Tomato Soup recipe.
- 8 Leaves Kale stems removed
- 2 Tsp Olive oil
- 1 White onion cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- To taste Salt & pepper
- 4 Slices Multigrain bread
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 6 Ounces Cheese sliced, we used hot pepper jack
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and gather your ingredients together.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil and add the kale.
- Remove from heat, allow to stand for 4 minutes or until kale is bright green.
- Rinse kale under cold water to cool then pat leaves dry and coarsely chop.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Add the sliced onion and cook until it caramelizes, about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- For the sandwich, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly coat one side of each slice of bread with butter and put two pieces of bread buttered side down in the pan.
- Top with cheese, kale, and onion mixture, salt & pepper to taste.
- Put the remaining two slices on top, with the buttered sides facing out, and brow on both sides.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake the sandwiches at 300° for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe compliments our Roasted Tomato Soup.