Beefy Kale and Jalapeño Corn Bake
Here is just one more way to enjoy kale! This recipe is perfect for the cold winters and makes great left overs during busy workweeks. Enjoy!
- 1 Pound Grass fed ground beef
- 3 Cups Kale stems removed and chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Can Cream-style corn 14 oz
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable oil
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 3 Tbs All-purpose flour
- 11/2 Tsp Baking powder
- ¾ Tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Shredded cheddar cheese divided in half
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 3 Jalapeño peppers seeded and chopped
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Seed and dice the jalapeño peppers, (you should always wear gloves when cutting hot peppers).
- On medium high heat, crumble and cook the beef until no longer pink.
- Add the onion and kale, and cook until the kale is limp and dark green. Drain off any oil and discard.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, corn, milk and oil, add cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt, stirring until it is fully incorporated.
- Pour half of the corn batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese.
- Top with the beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Add the jalapeños to the remaining corn mixture and stir then pour the remaining batter over the top of the meat.
- Using the back of a spoon spread the batter all the way to the edges.
- Bake, uncovered, for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center tests clean. Serve hot.