Franny’s Marinated Zucchini with Mint and Scallions
This is a delicious summer recipe combining fresh flavors. It is easy to make and your guests will be asking for more. Enjoy!
- 2 Pounds Zucchini
- To taste Kosher salt
- 2 Cups Scallions thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Red wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Garlic sliced
- To taste Crushed red pepper flakes
- To taste Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Bunch Fresh mint stemmed and washed
- 1 Bunch Fresh basil stemmed and washed
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Slice zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Salt generously and set on paper towels or put in a colander over a bowl, allowing any liquid to drain.
- Place the sliced scallions in cold water.
- Refrigerate the zucchini and scallions for 1 hour.
- Remove zucchini and dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over a medium-high flame.
- Fry zucchini in small batches until golden brown, roughly 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Place the browned slices on a large serving platter. When all the zucchini has been cooked, sprinkle with the red wine vinegar.
- Return the pan to the stove and lower the heat.
- Add the garlic to the remaining oil left in the pan, stirring and turning frequently enough to infuse the oil but not brown the garlic (this should be quick).
- Remove pan from heat, and add the red pepper flakes and a few grinds of pepper.
- Pour the oil over the fried zucchini and let it sit at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the scallions from the refrigerator and dry.
- Combine the scallions in a bowl with the mint, basil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Top the zucchini with the herbs and serve.
- Thank you “In Season” for the recipe. Enjoy!