The best pasta sauce is homemade!
- 10 Pounds Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Roasted garlic *
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- To taste Salt & pepper
- Canning Jars
Sterilize canning jars
- Fill a large canning pot with your canning jars and lids and enough water to cover all of the jars and bring to a roaring boil.
- Once the boiling starts, put the lid on and sterilize.
- Quart jars should process 35-40 minutes and pint jars 25-30 minutes.
For the Sauce
- Select ripe tomatoes, set them aside for a few days allowing them to fully ripen if you need to, this will give you much more flavor and sweetness.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil, have a large bowl filled with ice cold water set aside.
- Use tongs to drop the tomatoes in the boiling water for 60-90 seconds, or until the skin cracks.
- If the skin does not crack, remove anyway and place in the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Repeat until all tomatoes have been blanched.
- Once the tomatoes are cooled, remove and discard the cores and skins.
- Put a large sauce pan on the stove and turn on low heat.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes into bite sized pieces and add the tomatoes and their juices to the pan.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add salt, pepper, lemon juice, garlic and sugar, (the sugar brings out the sweetness of the tomatoes).
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour, until the tomatoes break down and become a sauce.
- Place in the sterile jars and seal, leaving about an inch at the top. Put into a steam bath for 20 minutes.
- This is a great way to store Lady Moon Farms tomatoes.
* See our Lady Moon Farms Recipe