New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp Dip
As far as Southern dips go, this is one of our favorites. The shrimp gives this dish a definite Cajun feel. Serve with chips or bread, a definite crowd pleaser.
- 8 Tbs Butter 1 stick
- 1/4 Cup Chili sauce
- 1/4 Cup Fresh lemon juice
- 5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tsp Dried oregano
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Hot sauce
- 1 1/4 Pounds Shrimp peeled and deveined, tails off
- 4 Ounces Cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 3 Scallions thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 Cup Fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped, loosely packed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and devein the shrimp, tails removed.
- Juice the lemons and measure 1/4 cup juice, about 1 1/2 lemons.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in the chili sauce, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, oregano, paprika and hot sauce.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they are pink and just cooked, about 4 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the cream cheese, and sour cream, then stir vigorously until smooth. Set aside.
- Thinly cut the scallions separating the whites from the greens.
- Chop the parsley loosely packed to measure 1/2 cup.
- Add the shrimp, scallion whites, parsley, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the shrimp mixture in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Place the dip into a broiler-safe dish.
- Melt the remaining butter and pour it over the top of the dip, making sure to cover the entire surface with a thin coat of butter.
- Sprinkle with the scallion greens.
- Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Bring the dip to room temperature. Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the dip until the butter layer just begins to melt.
- Serve with your favorite crackers or crusty bread. Enjoy!