Smoked Beets with Candied Macadamia Nuts
Here is just one more way to enjoy beets. This is a unique recipe, full of flavor that we think you will love.
- 1 1/2 Cup Long grain rice
- 1 Lemon zest only
- 5 Sprigs Thyme
- 6 Medium Beets
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil plus extra to finish
- 1/3 Cup Macadamia nuts
- 3 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 Cup Fresh cilantro
- To taste Salt & pepper
- Line a wok or a large sauté pan with large sheets of aluminum foil and add the rice, lemon zest and thyme.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and set the beets on top of the rice.
- Tightly seal the foil over the lid to completely stop any gaps.
- Place the wok on a high heat burner on the stove top.
- After about 4 minutes, you should see a bit of smoke starting to form, continue to smoke for exactly 8 minutes and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 520 degrees F.
- Discard everything except for the beets and transfer onto a baking sheet to roast for 45-50 minutes in the oven.
- The beets are done when they can be easily poked with a knife.
- Once the beets have cooled, peel or cut the charred skin off.
- Chop the beets into slices then quarters and place in a large bowl with the honey, red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Lower the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the nuts in a small roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes and set aside.
- in a small sauce pan, cook the sugar over a gentle heat.
- Do not stir as the sugar starts to melt.
- Watch closely, as soon as the sugar melts add the roasted nuts, remove from the heat and stir to thoroughly coat.
- Pour the nuts onto a parchment lined baking sheet to cool.
- You can chop or break apart the nuts once the sugar has hardened.
- Put the beets on a serving dish and sprinkle with nuts, cilantro and drizzle with olive oil and serve.