Looking for another way to enjoy that fresh summer zucchini? Here is just another simple recipe, a hearty and tasty dish that can be served as a side or a main course.
- 2 Zucchini Large
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Cup Onion chopped
- 1 Tsp Garlic minced
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 Cup Parmesan grated
- 1 Egg large
- 5 Tbs Whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the zucchini in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds.
- Rub the outside of the zucchini halves with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and place in a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in the remaining olive oil until soft.
- Add the garlic and sausage meat and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Drain any excess fat from the pan and discard.
- Add the salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and cheese to the skillet and mix to fully combine.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg and cream together, then add to the skillet mixing to fully incorporate.
- Fill the zucchini halves with the sausage mixture.
- Bake covered with foil for 25 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes. The zucchini is cooked when it is fork tender.
- Serve with a side of Italian sauce.