Sauerkraut is one way to enjoy fermented food. This is a simple and healthy recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 Small Cabbage cored and chopped
- 2 Tbs Sea salt
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Core and chop the cabbage.
- Add the salt to the cabbage and mix using your hands making sure that it is evenly coated.
- Using a wooden pounder, meat pounder or rolling pin, pound the cabbage to release the juices.
- Press the cabbage into a large mouth jar.
- Pouring in any remaining juices from the cabbage.
- The top of the cabbage should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar, add water if necessary to cover the cabbage.
- You can use some cabbage leaves folded over to help submerge the cabbage under the liquid.
- Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for 3-4 days until transferring to a cold storage.
- It improves with age, but can be eaten immediately.