Bubble and Squeak
An ideal cold-weather use of cabbage, potatoes and brussels sprouts. This is a traditional British dish made with leftover vegetables from a typical roast dinner. You can add just about anything to the mix, mash it together browning the sides and viola'!
- 1 Pound Cabbage
- 1 Medium Onion thinly sliced
- 6 Tbs Butter can substitute coconut oil
- To taste Salt & pepper
- 1/2 Pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 Pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut in half
- 4 Eggs for frying (optional)
- Gather your ingredients together and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thinly slice the cabbage.
- Remove the outer layer of the brussels sprouts and discard, and thinly slice.
- In a large skillet sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of butter and a pinch of salt over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the cabbage and brussels sprouts then cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, boil the potatoes in salted water until tender and drain.
- Add the potatoes and the remaining butter to the cabbage mixture and mash the potatoes, stirring to thoroughly combine.
- Brown the veggies for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- You can serve this with fried eggs or your favorite main dish. Enjoy!
This is easily converted to a vegan meal, substituting coconut oil instead of butter. Get creative adding vegetables you have on hand.