Kale Salad With Pecorino & Walnuts
This salad puts a bit of a twist on the traditional way of enjoying greens. The combination of dried fruit, panko and nuts give it a wonderful flavor. Enjoy!
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts chopped
- 1/4 Cup Dried fruit we used dried cherries
- 1 Tbs White wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs Water
- 1/4 Cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- To taste Salt
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 Bunch Kale washed and patted dry
- 1/2 Cup Freshly grated Parmesan grated
- Juice of half a lemon
- To taste Freshly ground black pepper or red pepper flakes
- Gather your ingredients together.
- To prepare walnuts, heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast walnuts on a baking sheet for 10 minutes, tossing once.
- Let cool and coarsely chop.
- Juice the lemon.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, simmer white wine vinegar, water and dried fruit for 5 minutes, until plump and soft.
- Set aside.
- Toast the breadcrumbs, garlic and 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet together with a pinch of salt until golden brown and set aside.
- Remove the stems and ribs off the kale and chop.
- Put the kale in a large bowl.
- Add pecorino, walnuts and dried fruit (leaving any leftover vinegar mixture in the dish), remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice and toss until the kale is fully coated.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and some of the reserved vinegar mixture from the died fruit, if needed.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
- Just before serving, toss with breadcrumbs and, if needed, a final 1 teaspoon drizzle of olive oil.