Roasted Red Peppers
Roasting your own red peppers is easy and delicious. This recipe is perfect for peppers directly out of the summer garden.
- 5 Orange or yellow bell peppers
- Place the racks on the top shelf and set your broiler to high.
- Cut the top and bottom off each pepper, then cut in half lengthwise and remove the stems, core and seeds.
- With the skin side up, place on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Put the peppers under the broiler and cook until the skin is charred all over, this may take 3-8 minutes.
- Please watch carefully, you might have to rotate the pan to get them to cook evenly, you don’t want to burn the whole pepper.
- Some peppers may cook quicker than others, remove them and continue to cook each pepper until they are all done.
- Remove the peppers and place into a sealed container to steam for 15-20 minutes.
- You can put them in a zipped bag or a any sealed container.
- The longer they steam the easier the skins will be to remove.
- Once the peppers are cooled, use a dull knife to remove the skins.
- You should be able to simply peel off the charred skin.
- Cut the peppers into thin slices and use to top salads or add to your favorite pasta dish.
- Store in an airtight sealed jar and sterile for keeping.