Bite sized paneer cubes cooked in tomato sauce makes a delicious cream sauce. This is an easy recipe and pairs nicely with most other Indian dishes.
- 4-5 Large Tomatoes ripe
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tbs Red chili powder
- 1-2 Jalapeño peppers slit
- 1/2 Tsp Garam masala powder or tandoori masala powder
- 1/2-1 Tsp Honey
- 1/2 Inch Fresh ginger root julienned
- 1/2 Tsp Kasuri methi leaves/dry fenugreek leaves crushed
- To taste Salt
- 200 Grams Cottage cheese/paneer cut into bit sized pieces
- 2-3 Tbs Cream
Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 Inch Fresh ginger root
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Make your ginger paste.
- Add 1/2 inch ginger & 3-4 small garlic cloves and crush in a mortar and pestle.
- Wash the tomatoes and chop them up into chunks, then with a blender or grinder, make a smooth puree and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the bay leaf and sauté for a few seconds till aromatic.
- Add the crushed ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add the tomato puree mixture to the skillet.
- Add the chili powder and sauté on a low flame for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Simmer till the sauce thickens, this will take about 7 to 8 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the green chilies and ginger, stir then simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the honey, salt and crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves.
- Stir and then add the paneer cubes and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes till the paneer cubes are heated through.
- Add the cream and gently stir, remove from heat and sprinkle with garam masala and stir again.
- Serve the paneer makhani with rice or naan bread. Enjoy!