Chicken Tikka Masala
This is a great recipe that requires a bit of effort but the result is fabulous! The combination of flavors is even better the next day.
- 1 cup Plain Greek or whole milk yogurt
- 1 Tbl Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tsp Ground cumin
- 2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Garam masala
- 2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 4 Cloves Garlic whole
- 1 Tbl Fresh ginger root minced
- 3 Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless, cut1.5 inch cubes
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Jalapeño peppers diced, removing the seeds (optional)
- 2 Tsp Ground cumin
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbs Garam masala
- To Taste Salt & pepper
- 3 Lb Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Half & half
- 1 Bunch Fresh cilantro
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in the chicken, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Chop the chilies.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat and add the butter, garlic and chilies, then sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and brown until caramelized, cooking for about 20 minutes. Don't rush this process, this brings out the flavor of the sauce.
- Add the cumin, paprika, and garam masala then cook for a few minutes allowing the flavors to combine and release.
- Add salt, pepper and chopped tomatoes, cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the sauce in the blender, puree until smooth then return it back to the pan.
- Add the cream and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- While your sauce is cooking, take the chicken from the refrigerator and place on wooden skewers.
- Cook the chicken on low broil for 6-10 minutes, turn and cook an additional 4-8 minutes, or until done. Each broiler will vary. You can cook the chicken on the grill if you prefer.
- Once the chicken is cooked allow it to set for 5 minutes to seal in the flavors.
- Add the chicken to the sauce once the sauce has thickened, bring your heat up slightly and heat through.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
This dish goes great with our Paneer Makhani recipe.