Green Pea & Kale Pesto Toast with Soft Cooked Eggs
When picking fresh peas make sure you choose the brightest green, plump and unblemished pods. Peas should look glossy be crunchy and taste sweet. Peas convert from sugar to starch immediately once picked, so buy fresh as possible and peel just before using. This is a delicious recipe that we think is a gateway to many more pea pesto ideas.
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Cups Fresh Green Peas shelled
- To taste Salt & pepper
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- 2 Tbs Pine nuts toasted
- 1/2 Cup Basil leaves packed
- 1/2 Cup Kale packed
- 1/4 Cup Freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 Cup Olive oil
- 4 Slices Rustic bread toasted
- 1/4 Tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and gently lower the eggs into the water.
- Turn off the heat and cover, letting the eggs cook for 6 minutes, then immediately submerge into an ice bath and cool completely.
- In a small saucepan bring salted water to a boil and blanch the peas until they are bright green and tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the peas to an ice bath and cool completely. (skip this step if using frozen peas).
- In a blender or food processor pulse the peas, pine nuts, basil, kale, garlic, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and cheese together slowly drizzling the olive oil to make a pesto.
- Spread the pea pesto onto the toast.
- Peel the eggs and serve on top of the pesto sprinkling with salt and pepper. Enjoy!