Eggplant with Crushed Chickpeas Appetizer
This is a fresh recipe that is full of flavor and definitely something a bit different.
- 2 Large Eggplants cut into rings
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Garbanzo beans
- 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Lemon
- Dash Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Fresh mint stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh flat-leaf parsley stems removed and chopped
- To taste Salt & pepper
- Gather your ingredients together and preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Cut the eggplants into 3/4 inch rings.
- Place the eggplant rings into a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread out onto a baking sheet covered with tinfoil and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Using a mortar and pestle crush the seeds.
- Remove the skin, seeds and white pith of the lemon and chop.
- Put the beans into a bowl with the cumin, lemon, 3 tablespoons oil, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- With a fork roughly mash the bean mixture.
- Put the yogurt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 tablespoons water, mint, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, dash of black pepper into a blender or food processor and puree into a nice pourable dressing.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a plate and spoon the bean mixture on top then drizzle with the yogurt dressing and serve.