Eggplant Meatballs are delicious, hearty, and make a perfect vegetarian substitute. They are fabulous when served over julienne zucchini. Enjoy!
- 1 Large Eggplant diced small
- 8 Ounces Mushrooms diced small
- 1/3 Cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- 3 Tbs Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese finely grated
- 1½ Tsp Fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1½ Tsp Fresh oregano finely chopped
- ¾ Tsp Ground fennel
- ¼ Tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 Tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Large Egg whisked
- 1/3 Cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Place your oven racks in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F.
- Put the eggplant and mushrooms in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread the mixture onto the baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven and stir and return to the oven rotating the pans and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool to room temperature.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Finely chop the thyme and oregano or use a mortar and pestle.
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor, pulse to combine. The mixture should be well combined but still have some texture (be careful, do not blend into a paste).
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With your hands form the mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, until cooked through and beginning to firm up.
- This is a great dish served over julienne zucchini with our Roasted Tomato & Pepper Marinara Sauce.