Our Egg Bake recipe can be made ahead of time and warmed up for a high-protein breakfast with a high nutrient load. You’ve probably heard the secret that if you eat breakfast daily it can boost your metabolism 10-15%. If you are not a breakfast eater it can be difficult to add this habit to your life. We recommend starting with a light breakfast of fruit first thing. Take a serving of the egg bake with you to work and eat it mid-morning when you start to feel hungry. Over time your metabolism will shift and you will find the need for something substantial like the Egg Bake within 30 minutes of rising each day. One more secret … eating within 30 minutes of rising is the best approach for a healthy heart. Your body fasts overnight while you are sleeping. When you wake up and make your body start moving it’s very important to give it some fuel! Thank you to, “Secrets of a Thin Person” for this delicious recipe.
- 9 Farm fresh eggs Please make sure the chickens were not fed any GMO feed.
- 16 oz Cottage Cheese 4% fat Organic. Please use 4% not 2% or no fat, Cottage cheese is intended to have fat. When possible find a locally produced variety from 100% grass fed cows
- 4 oz Raw Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated. We used Organic Valleys brand.
- 4 oz Raw Mild Cheddar Cheese grated. We used Organic Valleys brand.
- 1 Pint Grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 Medium Organic Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 Can Eden Organic Black Beans We are very particular to use this brand for canned beans – they were among the first to remove BPA from the can lining
- 1 Small Zucchini organic, chopped
- 1/2 Pint Shiitake mushrooms chopped (ok to substitute Portabello, Maitake or Crimini. No button mushrooms please).
- 1 Cup Organic Brown Basmati Rice.
- 1 Large Bunch Spinach chopped
- 2 Small Carrots chopped
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Slice the zucchini.
- Cut the tomatoes.
- Grease a 9x12 casserole dish.
- Crack the eggs and add in to a large bowl.
- If your brown rice is freshly cooked and warm, add it in last.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour egg bake mixture into dish. Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour.
- At that time shake the dish slightly.
- If the middle still jiggles allow to cook until set.