Baked Eggplant with Tomato Sauce
This is a delicious dish that can be made ahead of time. Some might consider this to be comfort food; we think it is a fabulous healthy and hearty meal.
- 1 Eggplant peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 8 Ounces Mushrooms we used King Boletus
- 1 Cup Onion chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Fresh basil minced
- 1/2 Tsp Fresh oregano minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 24 Ounce Tomato sauce
- To taste Salt & pepper
- 2 Cups Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 Tbs Olive oil
- Put the oven on a low broil and slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil.
- Broil 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, basil and oregano then sauté for about 7 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 the tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange the eggplant slices over the sauce in layers.
- Spread the mushroom mixture on top of the eggplant.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the remaining tomato sauce then sprinkle with parmesan cheese, cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour.