Roasted Eggplant Dip
Looking for a delicious vegan appetizer? Try our Eggplant Dip, it is healthy, unique in flavor and simple to make. Enjoy!
- 1 Medium Eggplant about 1 pound
- 2 Tbs Fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Red onion finely chopped
- 1 Small Red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 Small Jalapeño peppers finely chopped
- 2 Tbs Fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- Gather your ingredients together and preheat broiler, positioning the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Line a baking pan with foil.
- Place the eggplant in the pan and poke a few holes all over with a fork allowing the steam vent.
- Broil the eggplant, turning with tongs every 5 minutes, until the skin is charred and a knife inserted into the dense flesh near the stem goes in easily, 14 to 18 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and allow to cool.
- Seed and dice the jalapeño.
- Seed and core the red pepper and cut into small pieces.
- Put lemon juice and garlic in a blender.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scrape the flesh into the blender, mix until smooth.
- Add oil and stir with a fork until the oil is absorbed.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper, chili pepper, basil, cayenne and salt.
- Serve with chips or crackers.