Try this delicious vegan version of Eggplant Musaka, a great dish that can be served hot or cold.
- 4 Large Eggplants peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- To taste Salt
- 1 1/4 Cups Olive oil
- 2 Large Spanish onions peeled and chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 6 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbs Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground coriander
- 1 Tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 Large Tomatoes cut into small cubes
- 1 Cup Chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Gather your ingredients together.
- Chop the eggplant into cubes.
- Sprinkle the eggplant cubes with salt to draw out moisture and let stand in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant to remove salt and then pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large pan, fry the eggplant in 1 cup of the olive oil over high heat for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- The eggplant will absorb most of the oil.
- Remove the eggplant with a slotted spoon, set aside on paper towels to absorb excess oil, and discard any leftover oil. (As an alternative to frying, brush the eggplant with oil and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.)
- Chop the onion, mince the garlic and seed and dice the jalapeño.
- Add the remaining 1/4-cup olive oil to the pan and add the onions.
- Sauté onions until caramelized, then stir in the jalapeño and garlic.
- Sauté for 3 minutes, then add cumin, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Once you have smelled the aroma of the garlic and spices, add the tomatoes, chickpeas, lemon juice, and half a cup of water.
- Bring liquid to boil and then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to boil and then simmer for 10 minutes at lowest temperature.
Thank you "In Season" for the recipe.