Ruai's Winter Borscht
Ruai's Winter Borscht is a wonderfully hearty and healthy soup. You can add most any root vegetables to the pot. Enjoy!
- 2 Large Beets chopped into one inch cubes
- 2 Large Potatoes chopped into one inch cubes
- 1/2 Cabbage chopped
- 4 Carrots chopped into slices
- 1 Can Tomato paste
- 1 Tbs Vinegar
- 2 Tsp Soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tsp Dried oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried basil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Pinch Cayenne powder
- 1 Jalapeño peppers optional
- To taste Salt
- 5 Cups Vegetable broth
Gather your ingredients together.
Chop the beets, carrots, potatoes and cabbage.
Add all the ingredients into a large soup pot, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.
Don't over cook the vegetables, they taste best when still firm.
Serve hot or cold, with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and homemade bread.
* See our vegetable broth recipe